Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Happy Hill Rice - 2018-First Season

I am continuing cultivation of happy hill rice, just to keep the seeds and distribute to people who are interested. There is a pending list of 5-6 people to whom I will be sending seeds soon.

This time, I took some seeds from my old cultivation which is 1.5 years old now. I kept in water for 1 day and then kept in a wet cloth. After 1 day there was no germination seen, and I could see that cloth gets dried soon, so kept it under the cot and kept wetting it. After 3 days, some seeds were germinated. I also tried with last year's seed, which is around 6 months old, and it germinated much faster.




17-Feb-2018

Applied some dried cowdung powder collected from farm, rice seedlings has healthy look now.



24-Feb-2018



3-March-2018

Applied cowdung slurry once



12-March-2018



In one pot put some green gram seeds and allowing other weeds also, other pot has just kept clean of weeds, just to see if there are any differences.

01-April-2018


Flowered and grain started forming, the one with green gram is fully covered by them, still the rice plants are still there and flowering.

18-April-2018

Some grains are not looking good, may be because of very hot weather, recently there has been some rains.




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your post. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.
sas implementation services in north America

Unknown said...

Hi Nandakumar,

Thank you for writing about your experience. It is insightful to read about your trials.

Would it be possible to add me to your list? I would love to get a hold of this rice variety to share.

I will be growing a 6 row purple barley this summer. If you are interested, I would be happy to trade.

Kindly,

Joshua

Nandakumar said...

Hi Joshua,

Sure, can send 20-30 seeds of happy hill rice to you, please send your address to my email ID - p_k_nandanan@yahoo.com

Where are you located? Barley may not grow here, would like to get some cover crop which can grow with rice in tropical climate? If you have access to Sub Clover seeds would like to get some.


Regards,
Nandan

HalioComet said...

Hi Nandan,
I got the happy hill seeds from you delivered to Chennai on 18/04/2018. Very excited to grow it. How old are the seeds that you have sent me.Im planning to germinate them in June.
Regards,
Sridhar

Nandakumar said...

Hi Sridhar,

Nice to hear this, seeds are a mix of some old seeds (close to 2 years, but still they germinates) and 6 months old seeds. Would like to hear the update once you start growing it.


Regards,
Nandan